Zara Powell (The Jakarta Post)
Fri, February 3 2023
Influential waria (transgender) figure and founder of the Al-Fatah Waria pesantren (Islamic boarding school) in Yogyakarta, Shinta Ratri died on Wednesday.
As the founder of the world’s only Islamic boarding school for transgender people, Shinta dedicated her life to fighting for the rights of transgender women to practice their religion and to worship according to their beliefs.
Shinta passed away at the Wirosaban Hospital on Wednesday morning after suffering from a heart attack. She was buried in the Jagalan Village Funeral Home that afternoon.
to Read Full Story
Starting from IDR 55,500/month
- Unlimited access to our web and app content
- e-Post daily digital newspaper
- No advertisements, no interruptions
- Privileged access to our events and programs
- Subscription to our newsletters
Or let Google manage your subscription